Tuesday, May 4, 2010

A Sick Toddler Is Not a Fun Toddler!

Yesterday Alexandra seemed to get a head cold because after I brought her home from the sitters she felt a little warm. The sitter told me her nose had been running and so I kept my eye on her. Well it continued to run, and run, and run. The poor girl had her nose wiped so much no wonder when she saw me pull out the tissue she would say "no tissue!"

Well Alex started getting warm so I immediately gave her some tylenol (the generic brand because at this point the name brand liquid is on recall!) and took off her clothes and kept her in her diaper. Well as the evening went on she would burn up. I got her to bed ok but it was going to be a LONG night. Alex was up within 20 minutes crying and so I did my best to calm her down. I know that I can't stand feeling sick so I know that for a toddler it must be worse because they can't do anything about it! Well thank goodness Nana and Papa were helping out. At around 11 or so Nana had Alex out on the sofa laying down trying to cool her down with a washcloth. She was crying off and on and just seemed miserable. She couldn't sleep so Nana, Papa, and Alex played "marbles" until midnight. I am told I came out all groggy and said she needed to go to bed. I remember coming out but I don't remember saying about her going to bed. haha. I was super tired! Nana let me sleep since I had to go to school today. Well then Alex ended up falling asleep until about 3. At 2 she was in bed with Nana and Papa and Nana said that she was saying " Hi Papa" to Dean. Well I am sure he needed sleep too so he ventured out to the couch to sleep. I don't blame him! At around 3:30 or so she was up again so I went over to Nana's room to lay with Alex and watch some tv. She just would not calm down and was just so uncomfortable. I laid with her giving her her water cup and stuffed animals and the girl just scooched around for about an hour. She cried every so often too. Well next thing I know it was about 4:45 and she finally settled down. Nana was now out on the living room floor sleeping too. I went to sleep from 4:45 until 5:45 and then it was time for me to get up for work.

Alex didn't want me to get up so I carried her around while I got my clothes out and then I put her in my bed and she laid for about a minute and then was out like a light. While I was at school Nana said her temp was up and down, up and down, and she slept three times. The girl normally only takes one 1.5-2 hr nap so I knew she must have needed her rest.

I arrived home from work at about 4:30 and the little one had just woken up from a nap (and in good spirits according to Nana). I guess it was a rough day. Well for the evening she was back to her normal self. She did stay up a little later tonight until 9 and then I put her to bed. So far so good- it's 10:30 and we haven't heard a peep. I am hoping this was just a 24 hour thing and that she will wake up in the morning without a temp. I just hate to see her miserable like that.

I know she is still young and there are plenty of "sick days" ahead of us but it just breaks my heart to see her that way.

No comments: