Well I still thought it was his teeth or maybe he was getting a cold. I thought teeth because I knew he had two molars poking through that are not all the way through the gums. I wish they would just come through all the way already! He didn't take an afternoon nap and so I thought he'd sleep great through the night. Well he woke up at about midnight crying like crazy. He was super hot and so I gave him some medicine and he would just not settle down. I ended up going back and forth between his room and ours trying to calm him down. This wasn't just a "I'm missing mommy cry".So I ended up just bringing him over to our room for good and he slept in our bed. He slept on me and in between Chris and I so of course I didn't get much sleep. That night it was about 3 hours.
Then came Monday. Monday, Monday. Camden cried for most of the day. Even when I was holding him. He slept on and off too (on me of course on the couch). He had a fever the whole day despite giving him medicine. He had maybe a 20 minute period where he played and wasn't attached to me. But for the rest of the day he was just miserable. Oh and he wouldn't eat anything - not even his favorite fruit pouches. I noticed he had some bumps under his lips and thought maybe it was from all of his drool. And then I got an email from a playgroup friend saying that her son was just diagnosed with hand, foot, and mouth disease, the coxsackie virus, and he most likely our kids were exposed at playgroup. She didn't see symptoms in her son until Friday where he got his fever and then he went to the Dr. over the weekend and it was confirmed he had it. Aha. Maybe that was what Camden had.
Monday night he didn't go to sleep well and so I ended up bringing him over again to our room. Normally I don't just bring him over but I knew he wasn't feeling well. So he tossed and turned a bunch and would cry every so often but I'd get him back to sleep. He slept for longer stretches so that was good.
Tuesday morning came and he woke up for the morning. I was ready for a big cry...but he looked around and woke as normal and we headed downstairs. He played like normal but would not eat. He was shoving food away again but would drink a few sips of water and milk every so often. I decided to call the Pediatrician to get Camden looked at because I saw some more bumps on his arm and leg and noticed that they could get a rash and even get bumps inside their mouth. No wonder he wasn't eating. So the Dr. leaned him back and looked in his mouth and I did too and sure enough he confirmed that Camden did have hand, foot, and mouth too. He had tiny bumps in his mouth that probably hurt so bad. And the worst part is that there is really no "cure" for it - you just have to let it run it's course over 5 days or so. On Tuesday he actually napped in his crib which was a good sign. He cried again going to bed at night but since he was okay during the day I was thinking that he was used to sleeping on me the past two nights. So I brought him over to fall asleep and then around 9:30 I took him to his room and he slept through the night. Yay.
Wednesday he began eating food again, drinking more, and he played all day just like he normally would. But Alex now had a fever. Oh joy. So she basically laid on the couch the whole day and fell asleep. Camden would walk up to her and tap her as if to try to wake her up. Camden took both naps (good ones too) in his crib and then went to bed without a hitch. But then around midnight he woke...I wasn't sure what to do because I wasn't sure at this point if he wanted me to get him or if he wasn't feeling well again. Oh and guess what else. Now I started with some body aches and a sore throat. By about noon I felt like a mack truck had hit me. I had chills, a fever, and felt horrible. And I had two kids to take care of. But back to the middle of the night. I had to put Alex to bed that evening (and every evening that week) because Chris had conference calls each night. I was tired and worn out. But I brought Camden back to bed and he was fussy. First I went to rock with him but felt almost delirious because my head was spinning, I was shivering, etc. Well we got him some gas drops because I noticed he was gassy. Gave them to him and he calmed down after I rubbed his tummy, moved his legs around, and did all of that stuff I used to do when he was a gassy infant. Then finally I thought we did all we could do and Chris said maybe he should cry it out. I knew I needed sleep. I was ready to take him back and have him scream at me but determined to just let him go because I thought by then he just didn't want to leave our bed. So I took him in, laid him down, and...dun dun dun....the kid didn't make a peep AND he slept until 6:30! I gave him some milk in the morning and he went back to bed until 8:00.
Thursday - normal for Camden, I kept Alex home from school just in case she would start having the hand, foot, mouth symptoms other than fever (and we aren't supposed to send them if they had a fever 24 hours before) and I would feel bad if I sent her. So she stayed home, her fever got better by the end of the day. But now I was still in rough shape. The throat hurt more than the day before, so much that it hurt to swallow. So that day I didn't eat anything. Sleeping is hard to because it still hurts to swallow and so it was just so uncomfortable. Friday I woke up and my little friend nausea came to visit (this is another side effect of strep throat). I "womaned" up, got the kids around, went to a local natural foods store, got some ginger chews and had one and voila....nausea was gone in about an hour or so. Phew. Nothing worse than that feeling. Well maybe swallowing. On Friday night I looked in my mouth and it was super red and I thought I saw whiteness in the back.
Now here it is, Saturday, I just couldn't deal with it any longer and although I have a regular dr. appt on Wednesday for a routine physical I needed something so I found an urgent care place and went there, did a strep culture which came back negative there but based on my symptoms and the fact that it didn't get any better he wanted to do a send out culture because he believes I still may have strep. So he gave me a script for some antibiotics and now here I am. Still with a sore throat but hopefully that will subside now within 24-48 hours.
All I can say is WHAT A LONG WEEK! Let's just hope now at my routine physical they don't find anything wrong. I just decided that since I was 30 and haven't had one since either before working or before college I should get one, especially with my family history. Oh and to top it all off I've been wearing this wrist brace because last Monday I also had a major pain in between my forefinger and my thumb, like carpal tunnel syndrome pain. That hurt so bad that I could barely use my right hand but I've been wearing this brace since then and it's gotten much better. (And it's probably posts like this that cause it!!!)
So if you made it all the way through this reading....Congratulations.
No comments:
Post a Comment