So the day is finally here. The day I'm mentally ready to start potty training Camden. I had this week set in mind to start because Alex has off school on Sept 5 so I thought I could work with Camden from Wed-Fri without any problems.
On Tuesday after he woke up from his nap I actually slipped some undies on him (not ready to start) to see if they fit properly. Well, he didn't want to take them off. So we"started" but I wasn't eyeing him like a hawk like I planned on doing during the training. He actually had a few accidents not even realizing that he should go to the potty. We went to get Alex off of the bus with undies and shorts on and no accidents. In the evening I put on a diaper as I normally do.
This morning I talked about rewards. When he goes potty he can get an M&M. He cried and cried because he wanted an M&M. I told him he had to go on the potty to get one. He finally agreed, sat on the potty, and literally squeezed out two trickles to get his M&Ms. When I gave them to him he sucked on them for a minute and spit them out because "they're not tasty". Ummmm last week they were tasty so why not this week???? Could it be that I got the Fall colors instead of the bright, bold rainbow colors. Who knows!!!
So anyways, we went to playgroup in a diaper and then once we got home and he got up from his nap it was go time. (That pun wasn't intended...lol)
I put on his undies and made sure to be within a few steps from him so that I could pick him up and get him to the potty if need be. A few times he would just wet the front of his undies but not enough to make a mess on the floor. So even when he did this I brought him to the potty and he finished on the potty a few times. He started getting excited after he did it a few times and so far the sticker chart seems to be exciting him. I made a chart with M's (for the candy) and drew cars every few spaces slowly spacing them out more and more. The car spaces mean he gets a new Hot Wheels car (one of his recent obsessions) and I also got some Dum-Dum lollipops which I'm sure he'll think are tasty.
I also found that Camden likes going on the small potty as opposed to sitting on the toilet. Although I'm not a big fan of cleaning out the potty I'm using what works for him and eventually we'll graduate to the big potty. He does enjoy flushing and saying bye bye to his accomplishment though =)
I ended up going out tonight and buying a froggy potty because the potty I bought for Alex doesn't seem to work well for a boy. I also stocked up on a huge container of lysol wipes and flushable wipes. And I also bought myself something: Some Blue Bunny Red Velvet Cake Ice Cream. I think this is wayyyyy better than wine that I intended to drink after the day was over!!!
Hopefully tomorrow goes well! Wish me luck!!
No comments:
Post a Comment