Tuesday, February 9, 2010

A Step Towards Potty Training?

I am not officially potty training Alexandra yet because I think she is still a bit young (19 months) but I am trying to get her ready but helping her to realize when she is going to the bathroom. She will come into the bathroom with me and I will tell her that I have to go potty and she will walk over to the toilet with me and turn around and pretend she is going too. I want to buy a potty for her to begin sitting on with pants on to get used to it. She then wants to flush the toilet so I let her do that. Then I always wash my hands and sing our washing hands song and she imitates me washing my hands.

She used to go and hide when she had to go but now she will do it anywhere and I always ask "Are you going poopy?" Sometimes she will say noooooo but the other day she said yes. I checked her pants and she didn't actually go but then later when she really was going she said "poopy". I told her to come give me a hug and we would go change her diaper. I kept telling her how she was such a big girl and how great it was that she told me she went. So she did it again the other day too. I know she is not ready to potty train yet because she still wakes up wet and I want to wait until she is at least 22 months but at least she is showing interest and is realizing when she is going. I am hoping the whole process isn't as hard as everyone says it is. Maybe Alexandra will be her normal "go with the flow" personality and it will be easy to train her.

As I look back at posts that I have written I realize just how much my life has changed since having a child. Who would have thought I wouldn't mind sleeping with a sore neck so that Alex could sleep well or that a child saying "poopy" would have been the highlight of my morning! I am sure all of you moms out there understand!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: