Tuesday, June 8, 2010

My Last Days at NBE

Alexandra fit right in with the kids. Can you pick her out of the crowd???

The cute apron the kiddos made for Alex- ladybug fingerprints and all!

What a beautiful quilt made by my friend Joie

another look
The secret apron that the kids made for me. I am sure this will get alot of use while I am cooking/crafting with Alex!

Well I have wanted to post an article but I temporarily misplaced (or just forgot) where I packed my camera. But don't worry, I've found it so now I can get on with it!

Some of you who read this may already know that this year was my final year at New Bloomfield Elementary. All year I would kind of avoid talking about it and it didn't seem real that I would be leaving. Actually, I am sure it won't seem final until August when everyone is talking about going into school and I won't be. Well the last day(s) of school were very emotional for me. I went through the routine of packing up my classroom, putting all of my belongings that I brought into school into boxes, and sending those boxes home week by week with Chris.

The day before the last day of school I had a pizza party for my class. Well they had a surprise for me too. In Art class they secretly made me an apron with all of their handprints and initials and they made one with ladybugs for Alexandra too. Some parents of my students orchestrated the whole thing secretly without me knowing. Then, what really brought me to tears was when my instructional assistant (who would very well would be an extraordinary teacher herself), who has also become a very good friend, gave me a wall hanging/quilt with all of the kids' names on it and my name and room number. Oh then the tears came. And they came that evening as I was leaving school and I stopped at the doorway looking at an empty classroom.

Then came the last day. As I said goodbye to the kids and hugged them more tears came. After the kids left we had a luncheon for the teachers who were retiring. At that luncheon, which which was totally unexpected, I was called up with the teacher, my colleague, who was retiring and after my principal presented her with a gift she then presented me with a gift. I am not sure why I was worthy of a gift since I was resigning (due to special circumstances)but I was so very appreciative of the thoughtfulness of the staff to leave me with a nice crock with "New Bloomfield Elementary" engraved on it. Enter wayyyyyy more tears here.

Then of course seeing others cry do not make it any easier. But the worst part were the goodbyes. Although I know I will see all of my friends at NBE again it just was a very emotional day for me. To all of my NBE friends - I love you - and will miss working with you!!


No comments: