Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The Outer Banks

On June 27th we took our family vacation with Chris's parents, my sister and mom, and Chris's sister's family to the Outer Banks. It was my first time there and I absolutely loved it! Alexandra's first time there too of course and she loved it too. Who wouldn't love staying in a gorgeous beach house right on the lake where we could see perfect sunsets every night?

On the trip there we left around 7:30 am. Alexandra was awake the whole time except for a short hour nap right before we arrived. She was so good though! We played in the back (as much as you can play while wearing a seatbelt) and I didn't even need to bring out the videos until about 2 hours until we got there. Thank goodness for my iphone and the Little Einsteins videos I downloaded because Alex loved watching them and a few episodes of Wonder Pets on the DVD player.

We arrived at the house in Corolla around 2:30 pm or so and then checked out our house. After unpacking and hanging by the pool for a bit we took a grocery shopping trip the store. While the girls were at the store Chris took Alex down to the beach. He said she didn't really like the water though. That evening we pretty much hung out, had burgers and dogs, and just went swimming. Alexandra loved the pool but that was no surprise to us! I wasn't sure how she would sleep because she was sleeping in a pack and play but she did great.

Monday we went to the beach and Alex had a good time. She was building sand castles but again she would not go close to the water! If she was close to the water we had to be holding her. Last year she sat right in the water but I guess this year she is more aware. But she would sit in that sand all day if we let her. (I am thinking we may get her a sand/water table for her birthday)
The first night Chris's parents cooked kabobs and we celebrated Alexandra's and Alyssa's upcoming birthdays. Nana got them some cute outfits to wear which was good because I actually under-packed for Alex this year because last year I over-packed way too much!!

Tuesday it was only sunny in the morning and I took advantage by reading out on the deck in the sun - I was at the beach so I wanted to be in the sun! Well it got cloudy in the afternoon so we just hung inside the rest of the day. I'm glad I had a good Nicholas Sparks book to read! Wednesday it was cloudy/a little drizzly all day so we went to the Wright Brothers Memorial in Kitty Hawk. It's where they first took flight. We were also able to see the giant sand dunes which were pretty cool. Then we went shopping at the outlets - I figured if I can't be on the beach I would love to go shopping!

Thursday and Friday we were at the beach again and we ended up going out to dinner Friday night to a seafood buffet. I just ate chicken tenders and a few other things for 30 bucks but o'well - I don't like seafood so I never get my money's worth at those buffets. Afterwards Alex went on a pony ride - she looked so cute on the pony and I wasn't even sure she would get on. Chris walked with her while she was on the pony. Afterwards she was a little upset and would say "I ride the pony - I ride the pony!!!!" Poor thing - so I just told Nana that I guess she'll need to buy Alex a pony. Haha - that's just a joke!!!Friday evening we took a little walk down on the beach to watch the sunset and do some family pictures. I think we should have done that every night.

We usually spent our evenings just hanging out watching tv, lounging in the hot tub, or playing Texas Hold'em. Which, by the way, I am no good at! We also took some time to see some new movies - one night Chris, Dean, and Bob went to see the A-team, another night Amy, Tricia, and Bob went to see Eclipse, and my mom, Nancy, and I went to see Grown Ups - which was hilarious!

We decided to leave the Outer Banks on Saturday night instead of our original plan of leaving on Sunday. We figured that we didn't want to spend the whole day Sunday in the car and we had to be out by 10 am anyways so everyone just decided to leave Saturday night. We left around 4:45 and Alex slept until 6 but again, was up the rest of the time, even until we got home at 11. When we got home I took her up to bed at 11:00 but until she finally rested and fell asleep it was 11:30. She kept saying "Mommy stay here" so I just hung out until she fell asleep but I don't want to make a habit of that! I am hoping she will get back into our routine and off of the "beach" schedule. While we were there she napped later and went to bed later so I am trying to get her back to her normal napping time and bedtime.

Well, I do miss being at the beach, especially with these record breaking temperatures. But I am looking forward to some possible weekend trips to the nearby beaches in Delaware or New Jersey.






Click to play this Smilebox slideshow: Outer Banks
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Free photo slideshow created with Smilebox

No comments: