Monday, August 16, 2010

Another Month Older

It's funny that during Alex's first year of life I got ready to post a "monthly update" 2-3 days before the 15th - the date she was born. Now I often forget as the 15th runs by. Most of the time I remember only after reading a friend's family blog (yours Gretchen) that I should be posting some updates. So Alexandra is another month older, 25 months. And I definitely see changes in her - some are wonderful changes and some are frustrating! But I love her just the same.

She is showing more episodes of getting upset if she doesn't get her way. So I've been trying to laying down the law and just be firm in my decisions when I want to say no. I'm trying to let her understand that when Mommy says no I mean it and whatever we are talking about is not up for negotiation. As a teacher it's funny because many of the kids would try to negotiate with me when I said no to their requests and continue with their "but.....but..." and I would simply say - when I say no I mean no - no negotiations! You get a glimpse of how a lot of bargaining must go on at home! So I have vowed to not give into Alexandra when she is asking for something and I feel the answer should be no.

I've also learned that when giving Alex a direction do not say "ok?" at the end. Because adding that "ok" at the end leaves it open for her to add in her comments and makes it less firm for me. I just say what I want to say and be firm if I need to so that she understands that what Mommy says is what she means.

The little stinker is getting more demanding though. I am sure it is all just part of her growing up and trying to figure out what she can get out of me. So I started using my friend, the timer. For example, now at bedtime I use to to let her know when I will be leaving the room. If you read my last post you'll see how she loves keeping me around.

I don't mean to sound negative when talking about some of her recent behaviors - it's just all part of her growing up and learning and I want to make good decisions too as a parent so that I raise a child who makes good decisions. I never call her bad if she makes a bad choice - I try to make her understand that there are good choices and bad choices. I'm just working really hard right now to help her make good choices.

Alexandra, despite some of her rare 2 year old moments, continues to be just a joy to be around. Simple things she does just make my heart melt and I love the things that come out of her mouth. The other day as I came home from Target I drove up to the driveway. Alex and Chris were sitting out on the grass and Chris said "Look who it is!" and as I pull in Alex comes running up, grin on her face yelling "Mommmmmy!!!" I got tears in my eyes watching her run up the driveway. I definitely am more emotional with all of these new hormones because of pregnancy but it just melted my heart.

Here are some other things I just love about Alexandra:

* I love how she loves to help me out, whether I am unloading the dishwasher, doing laundry, or cleaning. She is such a good helper!

* I love the little games we play like "chase me" or soccer in the house. Sure as she gets older we can't play soccer in the house anymore but for now, it's fun!

* I love how she will be playing with her toys and then all of the sudden comes over to me and says "I love you mommy" and hugs me.

* I love the tone in her voice when she says certain things. I can't describe it here but to hear her little voice and the tone in some of the things she says is so cute.

* I love how excited she gets when Nona, Titi, or Nana and Papa are around. She literally started kicking her feet last time she woke up and Titi and Nona were here. And just today outside a store she was with Nana and she said "I've missed you Nana"

* I love how she uses her manners when she sneezes, or burps, etc. She will say bless you to others, and when she sneezes she says "Bless you me"

* I love that I can basically carry on a conversation with her. She says two sentences at a time, uses pronouns, prepositions, and I love how she is so descriptive! Like instead of saying "There is a bus" she will say "There is a big yellow school bus" (Alex, that is what I look for in my young writers as a teacher!!! Adjectives are our friends!!)

* I love how she kisses my tummy when we talk about the new baby on the way. She is going to be such a good helper to her little brother or sister.

Of course I could go on and on and on about things I love about Alexandra. She is always going to be my baby!

No comments: