Sunday, April 10, 2011

First Road Trip With Both Kiddos

This past Thursday I took my first road trip with both kids. We went up to Nana and Papa's house so that all of my friends from the Harrisburg area could meet Camden (and see Alex too!) The trip up was good. Alex was awake for about an hour but also got about an hour nap and Camden slept the whole time! It's back to timing my trips according to feedings! With Alex as an only child and toddler I could pretty much leave at any time of day and it would be a good trip. Now we are back to making sure we leave at a specific time (just after feeding Camden) to make sure that it can be a peaceful trip!

On Thursday we went up to see Sandy - who used to babysit Alex. She was so kind to make us lunch and Alex was able to play with toys while Sandy and I chatted. Before we even got there Alex was asking about a specific toy that she wanted to play with so she remembered being there. Then we headed straight to Aunt Tricia's and Uncle Bob's house to hang out. It's always nice when Alexandra can play with Alyssa because she doesn't see her that often. They were able to play outside so that was nice. We had dinner there and then headed back to Nana's house afterward. You know it's a busy day when Alexandra doesn't even stay awake for all of the books I am reading. Camden must have been tired too because he slept for a 5 hour stretch that night.

On Friday I took the kids into NBE to see my friends from school and it was nice catching up with them. Alexandra was easily entertained by them (it's always nice that they are just naturally good with kids since they are teachers!) and of course she mooched off of them and ate their food - surprise, surprise! Then we went back to Nana's house and hung out until it was time to get pictures taken at Portrait Innovations. The day went very well until it was time to leave to get pictures taken. Alexandra wanted nothing to do with it and made it quite difficult to say the least to get out the door. We got to the studio and she still was fighting it and upset and I think that not having a nap didn't really help. I could tell she was very tired by the way she laid on the couch until it was time to get the pictures. I was worried that she wasn't going to cooperate and if she wasn't I didn't want to force her to do it if she was upset and crying. But once she got dressed she was a trooper and did a wonderful job getting her pictures! I was very proud of her for doing such a good job. We got some pretty good pictures too so I'm glad it all worked out. After pictures Chris met us there and then we all went over to a restaurant to eat dinner and then headed home. It was another busy day but it always seems to be when we go up for a visit because we try to do a lot and see a lot of people.

On Saturday we had a get together for our friends to meet Camden. We had a house full of people and it was nice seeing everyone. Poor Camden was having gas pains and was miserable for a lot of the evening so I felt so bad for him. I got little sleep because he wouldn't settle down until 11 and then I was up every few hours with him. He also didn't go right back to sleep and was fussy even after eating. I think now, a day later, though I figured out that it may have been because I gave him bottles up there since people were there. Whenever we go out or are having company I make bottles instead of nursing and I think he was just getting too much air. Today I nursed all day and he had no gas pain. So I am hoping that if I continue to just nurse and not give bottles that he will be ok because I hate seeing him struggling with gas pain.

So now we are back home. Both kids slept the entire trip home. Once we got home I fed Camden and he went back to sleep for a few hours. Then after feeding him again I was able to put him to bed around 8:30. I'm just hoping that now he won't be up all night after the next time I feed him!



No comments: