Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Our Mini Vacation to Milton

On Saturday I packed up the kids and we headed to Milton to visit Nona. Before we even left I was trying to time it just right hoping that Camden would sleep for the majority of the trip. It's funny how about 3 years ago I did the same thing with Alex. Now I can pack her up  in the car and go anywhere and she can entertain herself or I can find something to entertain her. So we had about a 3 hour trip and Camden made it about 2 hours sleeping. Then he opens his eyes and I'm thinking - oh no don't start crying!!! Well he started fussing so I ended up pulling over at a gas station to try to feed Camden. And wouldn't you know it as soon as I try he's not into it and is  now smiling at me. So I jump back into the car and hit the road again - only he starts crying again. The next stop wasn't for a few miles down the road so I just talked to him, sung, and did whatever I could to try to calm him down. We pulled over at a rest area and I was able to get him out and feed him there. We sat down at a picnic table and I fed him while Alex had a snack and then we traveled another 30 minutes to Nona's house.

We had a very busy week! We went to a lot of places and I must say that the kids were really troopers! Whenever I go up to visit my mom we always have a busy trip because I don't get up that often. So here is what we did day by day (if I can remember it all!)

Friday: 
After we got to Nona's house we just hung out for a bit. I went to a thrift store looking for a few games/toys to keep at Nona's. I ended up buying a Toy Story Yahtzee game for $1.50 and a dinosaur puzzle for $1.00. and they were both just like new! Then later in the evening after the sun went down we went down to the Lewisburg Park. Alexandra just LOVES this park! Really, I do too! I love that there is an area just for toddlers with a rubber floor. It's a big park so even if it looks like there are a lot of people there it doesn't feel crowded. Alexandra and I played a bit while my mom walked Camden around in his stroller. It was a nice evening - in the 70's - and just a great night to be out. An ice cream truck pulled up so we went over so Alex could get an ice cream or other frozen treat. She ended up picking out a Spongebob ice cream bar. I ended up sharing it with her because it was melting too fast but if you know me sharing ice cream doesn't bother me at all!










Saturday:
Saturday we just hung at Nona's, had some burgers on the grill, made smores, had a visit from Uncle Tony and Alexandra was able to play in the yard and dig in some dirt. Needless to say by the time she was done she looked like Pig Pen from the Peanuts but I didn't mind. The kid normally wants her hands wiped after every bite when she is eating because she hates having her hands sticky or dirty. So she got a bath and as a special treat I made her "paints" using shaving cream and food coloring. Note to self: Next time when making paints fill the muffin tins with 1/3 less "paint" so that bath time doesn't last 35 minutes!




 Can you see the dirt on her face???

Yummy Smores!!!

Monday:
Titi Amy came to Nona's! We just hung out in the morning and then Alexandra and I ran up to Farivew Country Market to see what they had. Sometimes I buy chocolate there to make candy but I decided not to because I can get it cheaper here. After walking around the greenhouse with Alex and then around the store we only brought home some jello that Alex picked out and a pack of gummy raspberries (which lasted maybe a day - even though they tasted "like Fairview"). Amy and I always say that things taste like Fairview when we buy stuff there because the market has a "spicey" smell and we always seem to taste that when we buy things there. 

When we got back from Fairview I decided that maybe we should go to Knoebel's that evening instead of Tuesday because the weather was looking good and so we headed there in the evening. Alexandra had a blast there. Last year she wouldn't ride any rides. This year - she rode them over and over and even by herself! I think it's safe to say her favorite ride is the carousel. We didn't even get to do all of the kiddie rides because it was getting too late. We actually rode the teacups and I was worried about Alex getting dizzy. Well I think she was fine but  I ended up with a headache the rest of the night (because someone, I won't mention any names, ahem Titi Amy, spun our teacup and so we spun pretty fast for most of the ride). We had some good food, Camden was great (although he did spit and pee on Amy) and he fell asleep while we were there. Alexandra was a great listener so on the way out we got some cotton candy. She had a few bites there but I didn't want her to eat too much because it was already 9:00 and I thought she would be wired if she ate too much. So we took it home and I actually finished it over the next few days. Bad mommy! 










Tuesday:
On Tuesday we went up to Reptiland. I've never been there but I thought it would be neat to take Alex there because they have this dinosaur exhibit and she loves dinosaurs. It was my first time there as well. It was nice taking her there because when we go to the Philly zoo I am usually walking around with and caring for Camden and Chris takes Alex to see all of the animals. I enjoyed seeing how excited she was to see the animals. 

Next, we went straight to the Fence to eat lunch (after making a quick stop at Purity Candy!). I just love their food! The Fence is always a must on my list when visiting Milton. Alex really liked it too!  After going to the Fence we then went to get some ice cream at Becky's soft serve. Alexandra's ice cream is probably still in the freezer because she never did get around to eating it. 

Later that evening we went up to our friend Andrea's house and Alexandra had a fun time playing with her kids. So much fun that it was a struggle to leave. She didn't want to stop playing so I pulled the old "I'm leaving so you'll just have to stay over" thinking that she would say she's coming. Nope. She said she would stay (yeah right  - she is in this mommy attachment phase). So I let her finish a puzzle with Andrea's son Sal and then she was good to go. 













Wednesday:
On Wednesday we went to the Farmer's Market in Lewisburg. As a kid we would go there often on Wednesdays during the summer and have lunch there. I still really only want to go there to eat. Although most enjoy their hot sausage sandwiches I just love their burgers and Troutman's Fries. The only thing I usually buy are some baked goods - I got some oatmeal, pumpkin, and chocolate peanut butter whoopie pies - YUM!

After the Farmer's Market we went over to an ice cream place and got some ice cream. I got a peanut butter cup sundae and boy was it good! Alex of course got strawberry ice cream since pink is her favorite color. (This is probably the third time this week we've been out for ice cream!)

On Wednesday evening my aunt came over to visit and meet Camden for the first time. After she left I put the kids to bed and then I fell asleep too. Whenever I am at my moms I always go to bed early (or fall asleep rather) because I can! When I am at home I usually have a dishwasher to load/unload, laundry to do, etc. After leaving there I usually am very well rested!
Alex is carrying the basil plant my mom bought

Thursday:
On Thursday morning we just went to Wal-Mart because I had some things to get. So we packed up the kids and headed down there and did our shopping and then as we were on our way home Camden fell asleep so I wanted to keep driving around so that he would nap. I ended up driving out to Brown Avenue Park where I used to play softball. They have built some playgrounds out there that were not there when I was a kid and so we stopped so that Alex could play for a bit while Camden slept. She had a good time and Camden did eventually wake up but he just liked looking around at the trees. 

After going to the park we came home, had some lunch, and then I took Alexandra over to Varissa's house to go swimming. We were also able to see Gretchen and her son, Eli, who we've never met but have watched him grow up by reading their family blog. I was wondering if Alex would actually go swimming because a few weeks ago at a birthday party she only hung out on the steps and wouldn't even let me take her in the water. Well Varissa let her borrow a floatie that is actually a life preserver for kids and she loved it. By the end of the day she was actually jumping off of the side of the pool into the water and then went swimming with Mollyo without me even in the pool. Now that's progress! So you bet that when  I found out that those floaties were sold at Target I ran up and got one (that same night!) 

On the way up to Target both kids were sleeping so I ran in and got the floatie and a new bathing suit for her and they were both on sale! We stopped at a Burger King for dinner and Camden woke up and needed to eat so my mom fed him in the back seat of the car while I ate. Thank goodness my mom is small and can fit back there between both car seats! She was a lifesaver when I needed someone to calm Camden down or feed him or whatever. 

We got back to Milton and then ended up going downtown to Music in the Park. Alexandra always enjoys going down there and listening to the music and it's nice that it is within walking distance from my mom's house. 





 4 Toddlers in a pool
Sitting with Clara and David (Varissa's niece and nephew) at Music in the Park

Friday:
On Friday we just hung out at Nona's house in the morning because we were leaving that day to go down to Nana and Papa's house for the 4th of July weekend. 

2 comments:

Gretchen said...

I showed Eli the picture of them swimming and he said, "with Alex??" It was really great seeing you and finally meeting your kiddos!

Ali said...

Wow! He remembered her name. That's great! It was nice meeting Eli too. It felt as if I already knew him since I basically watched him grow up on your blog!! haha