Sunday, March 13, 2011

Welcome Camden Christopher Snyder!

Our Family of 3 has become a family of 4! Let's start with the day Camden was born....

Friday March 11 I had a "scheduled" induction. The reason scheduled is in quotes is that my induction was supposed to be Friday but we were told that there is no guarantee I would get a room because mothers in active labor (ie those not being induced) have first priority. Of course I understood and knew this was fair but I really hoped we could get in. So the doctor who I wanted to deliver my baby scheduled me on a day she was at the hospital. I was told to call the hospital at 7:30 am to get further instructions. So I wake up at 6:30, get a shower, thinking I will go in early. I hardly got sleep the night before because the anticipation was so great. Well I call at 7:30 and they say that there are not any beds and to call back at noon. Oh man! Now I have to wait another 4 and a half hours! So I took it easy, played with Alex, watched tv, etc. Noon rolls around. I call back.....and they say.....we are super busy there are still no beds, call back at 3:00. What on earth am I going to do for the next 3 hours??? I felt bad now because Chris took off of work for that day and also has off Monday and Tuesday and he only gets 3 days for paternity leave. Of course I knew I had no control over the situation. Well when told to call back at 3 I knew I couldn't just sit around and watch tv because I'll be bored out of my mind and the time will drag on. When I was on the phone I asked what the odds were that I would get in that day. They said I would get in but I was thinking it may not be until later that evening. I was now starting to worry also that my doctor who scheduled me would not be able to deliver Camden. So 1:30 comes around and I put Alex down for a nap and then my mom and I went to Walmart to get out of the house - I did need some things anyways so it wasn't a wasted trip.

We return just about at 3 and I called thinking that they are going to say call back at 6, then call back at 9, etc. Well I called and talked with a nurse and they said come on in. Then the doctor got on the phone and was apologizing feeling bad and I said I understood. I guess she felt bad because she scheduled me for that day. So we got around and by the time we drove to West Chester it was about 4:00. And so the birth story begins....

Camden's Birth Story

So we arrived at the hospital at 4 PM and we went back to our labor room so I could be hooked up to the fetal monitors. We monitored the baby's heartbeat, my heartbeat, contractions, and went through some questions. Then at 4:45 my doctor came in and checked me to see if I was dilated/effaced any more since my last appointment and we would go from there. Well I was 2.5-3 cm and 80% effaced. So since I was so effaced she decided to not even give me the first round of medicine which is supposed to get you effaced to 100%. She decided to start right in with the Pitocin- which was an IV drip medicine which is supposed to start contractions.

At 5 we started the Pitocin and by 6 I was feeling slight contractions that were about 2-3 minutes apart. They were not painful at all and I was fine through them. Then at 7 my doctor broke my water and slightly afterward the contractions got stronger. They still were not unbearable but I knew I could get an epidural and feel totally comfortable so I decided to do so. At 7:45 I decided to get one and it wasn't bad at all. I was numb by 8! So then I just had to lay there while the contractions dilated me. I thought I could be laying there for hours. Well at 9:15 the nurse checked me and said I was already 10 cm and we would be ready to go! We just had to wait for the doctor (who I learned would be there until 8 am) to get back from doing a C-section on another patient. She came back around 9:45 and we were ready to have the baby.

We got all set up and I started pushing at 9:45. Each time a contraction would come I was supposed to do three deep breaths and three pushes per contraction. So I did this sequence about 5 times and by 10:17 Camden was born. Another short labor - 5 hours from the start of the medicine to meeting our baby boy.

Camden's Stats
8 lbs. 14 oz
21''
full head of dark brown hair

After he was born they laid him right on me as they cleaned him off. This was a different experience from Alexandra. Dr. Akins said the nurse should take a picture of Chris cutting the cord (again a new experience for Chris). We stayed in the room for about an hour and a half and had some visitors and then we moved to our recovery room around midnight. We had to share a with another patient which was another first for us. That was a shock that we would have to share a room but it all worked out!

So arrival at the hospital at 4 PM on Friday and home with our new baby boy by Sunday at noon - happened so fast for such a long pregnancy! Now that we are home I'll have to get adjusted to life with 2 kids while trying to recover from pregnancy and labor but I'm sure I'll be able to do it.
















2 comments:

Gretchen said...

Ali,
He's adorable! Well worth the wait! I'm so happy for you all. I hope I get to meet him in person sometime.

Ali said...

Definitely worth the wait! I'm happy for you too! These boys should meet sometime? Our kids are so close in age! If they went to school together they would be in the same class.