Friday, January 1, 2010

Chef in Training

My Little Chef!

Not so sure about that electric mixer!
I'll use the spoon thank you!
Making a cake for daddy!

cheese!
You mean I get to rub my hands in butter and rub it in the pan?? SWEET!
Mommy - you said two more eggs!


Dumping the cake mix in
My new apron

Today I was looking for something new to do with Alexandra and I thought we would bake Chris a cake. I have a bazillion cake mixes in my pantry and thought it would be fun to have Alex help me cook. Yesterday at Target I bought her an apron set that came with a chef's hat, pot holder, and oven mitt and really I just wanted her to try it out! So we washed hands and then I sat her up on the counter. I talked through the recipe from the back of the box. She helped butter the pan, dump the cake mix into the bowl, helped to add the water, oil, and added the eggs (her way). I showed her how I break an egg into a measuring cup to add it to the mix. Well she decided that when I say add 1 egg it means pick up the egg and put it in the container! After adding one egg she did the same thing with the next as she said "two" for two eggs. Thank goodness hers didn't break and we didn't have any shells in the cake mix! Then it was time to mix it up. I got out the electric mixer and she was a little unsure about it. I said "Alex do you want to mix?" and she said a firm "NO!" So I mixed it up well and then had her stir with a spoon. Then of course she brought the spoon up to her face to get a taste!

Then it was time to cook it. I let her have another lick off of the spoon but and said clear as day "Mmm mmm mmm (with pauses!) It was funny!

Well now the cake is done and Alex didn't get to try any yet. I was going to let her after dinner but she didn't eat alot - only some cheese and a few lima beans and maybe 7 pieces of mac and cheese so I thought........mmmm..no cake for dinner! Maybe tomorrow after she eats a good lunch.

So after seeing how today went in the kitchen I think we have alot of cooking ahead of us! So fun!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Alex - I love your apron set! I have a hand-me down Care Bears apron and chef hat from my cousin who lives in Texas. I love mixing and helping my mommy in the kitchen too! That butter trick looked like fun... I'll have to ask my mommy to let me do that too!