Friday, August 5, 2011

What's Going On Around Here

Eating:
At almost 5 months I'm still going strong nursing Camden and my goal was to make it to 6 months. That's how long I did it with Alexandra. I never made it to when she got teeth - I'm wondering if I will with Camden. I've been going through my freezer stash though because we have been going out a lot and when we are out and about I usually just give him a bottle. I've heard that eating oatmeal (and LIFE cereal) will help with milk production so I've been eating granola bars and oatmeal............cookies............hey if I have to eat oatmeal to keep it up I'd much rather have a cookie. Although that may not help with me trying to lose these last 15 pregnancy pounds! I've also read that initially you lose weight with nursing but it's easier to lose more once you stop. So I figure I may as well eat the cookies now while I'm still nursing. Makes perfect sense to me!

I recently started feeding Camden some solid food. We got the ok from the doctor and so I started off with some rice cereal. He really seems to enjoy that as well as oatmeal. So far I've introduced 3 veggies - squash, green beans, and sweet potatoes. So far he likes all three. The first day I gave him green beans. At first he made a funny face but then he was opening really wide and then I gave them the second day in a row and he loved them. I usually just give him a few tablespoons of rice cereal and a half of container of veggies at his "dinner" feeding. He does very well with being fed, except for when he would rather eat his fingers and toes (right after I put a bite in his mouth). He always pulls his bib up to his face too and I always keep a wet wash cloth close by - when I give it to him he puts it up to his mouth and actually "wipes" his face.

Next up I  need to introduce peas and carrots and then we will have hit all of the veggies. I am trying to hold off on fruit until I do the veggies and again because of testing for allergies we need to wait 3 days or so before introducing something new. I bought these "on the go" squishy tubes with spoons that attach to them and I can't wait to try them out but it will be a few weeks until I will since he hasn't had any fruit yet.

We kind of have gotten into a schedule again - but next month Alexandra will be going to preschool so I am not going to be a stickler to this schedule because it will probably all change (at least the morning part) when she goes. Most days now both kids awake between 6:30-7 although Alex has gotten up as early as 6 and 6:15 - not a big fan of that! It's hard to imagine that a year ago or so I was waking every morning at 5:45 to go to school and was fine but now if I have to get up at 6:30 I'm so tired!

Sleeping:
Recently Camden went through a little bit of a sleep regression. It all started with us traveling I think and then he was at that point where he was a very distracted eater (and having a 3 year old around is also very distracting for him too!) so he was not eating as long during the day which, in turn, I think made him hungry at night. He also did not sleep very well at Nana and Papa's. I think he knows when he is not at home in his crib,  with me rocking him in the rocking chair and reading the books, etc. I try my best to keep the same routine but the change in scenery I think has an impact on his sleeping. When we were there he woke up several times and was awake for an hour and a half at at time (instead of the normal 30 minutes when at home during feeding).

Since coming back home he has slept through the night (knock on wood here) every night. The past two nights he even slept 11 hours straight! And today he took two good 2 hour naps! I think napping/good night's sleep go hand in hand and when he sleeps well at night he naps well during the day. I also went back to using a sleep sack with him. I don't swaddle him but just put him in the sleep sack thinking he won't roll as easy. Well he did last night but was perfectly happy this morning when I went in to get him. His morning smiles are the BEST! I'm hoping that this sleep keeps up!

Camden will be 5 months next week! I can't believe it. I just love spending time with him. I love making him laugh - I can make him giggle and it is the cutest thing ever!

No comments: